When I was pregnant with my first baby I knew nothing about breastfeeding yet. I knew I wanted to do it, and I committed to it, and that was it. I had no idea the challenges I would encounter immediately after birth, and I was not prepared for them.
I had taken a breastfeeding class ahead of time and luckily this put me in touch with my hospital’s lactation specialists. I needed their help immediately after birth due to my daughter ending up in the NICU. I enlisted their help and support for the first few weeks of my daughter’s life, and I also found support with my local La Leche League.
Despite a few hurdles I went on to successfully breastfeed my first baby and two others since. I am confident the support I received after birth was critical to my success, and without it I am not sure I would have continued to breastfeed.
For this reason I always recommend pregnant moms line up support in the form of lactation consultants, support groups, and other resources before their baby is born. Lining up help before you need it and while pregnant is so much easier than doing it while in a panic and having problems.
So, I was happy to see that Aeroflow Breastpumps, a company which helps breastfeeding moms get a breastpump through insurance and which I have written about before, has created a lactation support directory on their website.
Aeroflow Breastpumps goal is to help increase the instances of breastfeeding and create a community of support and education. So the Lactation Support Directory is to natural extension of that mission.
Here is some information from Aeroflow Breastpumps about the directory:
What Is It?
- Aeroflow Breastpump’s new Lactation Support Directory is a comprehensive list of both Lactation Resources and Lactation Support Groups.
- It includes a variety of designations, including IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant), CLS (Certified Lactation Specialist), CLC (Certified Lactation Counselor), and RN (Registered Nurse).
Why Did Aeroflow Breastpumps Create The Directory?
- Our mission is to increase the instance of breastfeeding nationally by providing the best equipment and supplies for ALL moms, creating a community that provides support and education, and settling for nothing less than exceptional customer service.
- We take that mission seriously, and know that a Lactation Consultant or Group can be an invaluable resource to answer many questions that parents have about breastfeeding and pumping.
How Can I Find A Lactation Support Professional or Group in My Area?
- It’s simple! Just follow these steps:
- Visit our Lactation Support Directory (https://aeroflowbreastpumps.com/lactation-support-directory)
- Input Your Zip Code
- Refine Search (if relevant)
- Click map icons to learn more about each Lactation Consultant or Group
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How many Lactation professionals are included?
- At launch, we have over 600 lactation professionals listed. The Directory will continue to evolve and grow with new professionals and groups continuously added.
- What are some of the ways a Lactation Support professional can help parents?
- How to know if you are making enough milk.
- Help with proper latching.
- What are the signs of infection?
- If I’m a Lactation Professional or Group, how can my name be added to the Directory?
- Simply go to the Lactation Support Directory and submit your information for review.
- Is Aeroflow Breastpumps affiliated with any of the Lactation professionals?
- The Lactation Consultant Directory is provided by Aeroflow Breastpumps as a resource tool, and Aeroflow Breastpumps is not directly affiliated with any Lactation Consultant. Information should be used at the sole discretion of the individual.
I love this idea! I was happy to share it here on my blog because lactation support is a huge part of a successful breastfeeding journey. I know I could not have done it without support, and I was lucky to have it available.
I am going to recommend this lactation support directory to any parent to be I know. Breastfeeding does not always come easy and support is invaluable. Having an easy to use tool where you can look and find resources near you is a great idea.
If you are looking for lactation support please check out the Aeroflow Breastpumps lactation support directory
If you are lactation professional who would like to be added, you can do so via the lactation support directory as well.