Product: Ergo Baby Carrier – Organic
Best Place to Buy: Amazon has it discounted and with free Prime shipping
My Rating: 9 out of 10
I love baby wearing. There is something so wonderful about having your baby strapped to you while you are able to move about and take care of errands or tasks around the house. Babies love being worn. It makes them feel so cozy and comfortable being strapped to you and they usually fall asleep or stop fussing as soon as you get them in the carrier. I tend to prefer wraps and slings for newborns but the Ergo Baby Carrier is hands down my favorite all around baby carrier. And of course baby carriers are a great way to breastfeed hands free and be able to move around!
Ergobaby makes an awesome range of products. They have their original baby carrier, organic baby carrier, designer baby carriers, four position 360 carrier (the only one to allow baby facing out), and their performance baby carrier. They have also recently come out with a hybrid wrap and swaddler.
This review applies to the organic baby carrier but the features are going to be very similar in the original and designer carriers. The main differences are materials and color. The fit and comfort is the same for all of these.
I am lucky enough to own the Ergobaby Petunia Pickle Bottom Carrier, Evening in Innsbruck, which is a discontinued model made with organic fabric. While it is no longer available on the Ergobaby website, there are certain places you can still find it. Please leave me a comment if you are interested in this particular one and I will help you out.
One thing I love about the organic baby carriers is their softness. The originals are great too but the organic is just a little softer and is made with 100% organic cotton (Oeko-Tex Certified).
My thoughts on the Ergobaby baby carrier
This is definitely one of the most useful all around baby carriers. It’s also one of my must have baby items. I have used my Ergo carrier with both of my babies to hike, travel by plane, boating, out shopping, daily walks with the dog and toddler, grocery shopping, out to dinner, social events and more. I bought my carrier when I had my first baby and I was looking for something to use while traveling by plane that would allow me to breastfeed in it as well. I will admit it took me a bit to figure out breastfeeding in the Ergo but once I did it was easy.
I used my carrier even more once my second baby was here. With a toddler and infant I really needed my hands free. My son pretty much lived in baby carriers for his first six months. It was the only way I could take care of my toddler and keep him happy. He really did not like to be put down! I used it to grocery shop and run all my errands. I also traveled by plane with the whole family and the Ergo was a must have. I was able to breastfeed him in the airport easily while using the Ergo.
I have used wraps and slings and while I love them all the Ergo is my favorite. If I only could have one type of carrier this would be it. I need the security of the soft structure for things like shopping, walking, and running errands. Once my babies were past a certain weight/age wraps get too stretched out to do much outside of the house. I find the Ergo to be the most comfortable carrier to wear for longer periods of time. It has never hurt my back and it distributes weight very evenly between the hips and shoulders. It allows baby to sit in a comfortable ergonomic position.
Features from the manufacturer
- Carrier Weight: 1.6lb
- 3 Carry positions: front-inward, back and hip.
- With an Ergobaby Infant Insert, it is useable with your newborn from day one (7-12lbs), and through toddler hood (up to 45lbs).
- 100% Organic Cotton canvas shell and 100% Organic Cotton sateen lining (Oeko-Tex Certified).
- Adjustable padded waistbelt (26- 55 in & 66-140 cm) and shoulder straps offer maximum comfort and distribute weight evenly across wearer’s hips and shoulders.
- Adjustable hood to support baby’s head while sleeping, protect baby from sun and offer mom privacy while nursing.
- Large zippered storage pocket.
- Machine washable.
- Baby wearing has many known benefits.
- Comfortable ergonomic sitting position for baby.
- Soft breathable material.
- Very comfortable for parent, featuring ergonomic design that prevents back and shoulder ache.
- The hood to cover baby’s head is great for bad weather, sleeping, or breastfeeding.
- Very easy to breastfeed with a little practice.
- Easy to take on and off and adjust.
- Easy to adjust for multiple users.
- Multiple sitting positions for baby make it very versatile for different activities.
- Large outside front pocket to store small items.
- Easy to clean.
- Getting baby into back position can be difficult but doable with practice.
- No front facing out position. Just a note about this. I have a Bjorn as well and I have used this position with my Bjorn. I find in the Ergo I really do not miss it at all. My babies have always been happy facing me because they can turn their head to look around.
- For a small baby you will need their newborn insert for infants 7-12 pounds, which is an additional cost.
- It can get hot depending on the fabric. I have used mine for hiking in the Arizona heat and it actually did not bother me (and my carrier is black!) but I have heard other mom’s complain about the warmness factor. I wonder if it is because mine is 100% cotton that it might be a bit cooler. I do sometimes get warm in it but I feel that goes with the baby wearing territory.
Different ways to carry in the Ergo
Breastfeeding in an Ergo baby carrier
The Ergo baby carrier is one of my most loved and must have baby items. I love the organic and designer fabrics and there are many options to suit all styles. Baby wearing is a great tool with many benefits for baby and another way to make breastfeeding easier.
This great all around baby carrier and is very comfortable for parents and baby since it features true ergonomic design. It features multiple carry positions and can be used from birth with the newborn insert.
You can read more reviews, check out more information, or purchase an Ergobaby baby carrier here.
Please let me know if you have any questions about the Ergo and I will be happy to answer them!