Last Updated on
I recently bought the Nested Bean Zen Sack for my nine month old baby. I wasn’t paid for this review, and did not receive the product for free.
I bought it in sleep deprived desperation like many parents scouring the internet for solutions to help their baby sleep.
Now, let me back up a little.
My baby is nine months and for the first six months of her life she was an amazing sleeper. I thought I was lucky my third baby is a great sleeper, and it’s payback for all the sleep deprived torture with my first two.
Before she was born I decided I would co-sleep and roll with whatever having a newborn brought me. I was all prepared.
But to my amazement she slept wonderfully right from the start. Long stretches, waking to eat only occasionally. I have never believed in cry it out or training my baby to sleep, but I was thrilled with her sleeping habits.
Then around six months she started waking. A lot. Okay, maybe she is teething or learning a skill I thought.
While it has been off and on with the waking, it’s definitely a lot more than it used to be. I also nurse her to sleep and was having trouble putting her down without me.
I even wrote a post about when your baby only wants to sleep on you. I was okay with it though. I try to have the attitude to roll with the challenges, because as soon as you fix them your baby changes and you are on to a new issue. But this has been happening for awhile and I do need to get stuff done occasionally.
I had seen the Nested Bean sleep sack advertised but always thought well I don’t need a sleep gadget. They also have a swaddle but I am way past the swaddle stage. We use sleep sacks only now.
I decided on a whim to try it though. Considering I have a baby who does not like me to put her down, and this sack claims to mimic a parent’s touch, I figured what did I have to lose. Worst case, I have another sleep sack and we do use those.
Here is some info about the Nested Bean Zen Sack Classic from the manufacturer:
- 100% cotton
- EASY TO USE: Two way zipper system makes midnight diaper changes a breeze. The adjustable shoulder snaps allows this wearable blanket to grow with your baby and make it the perfect swaddle transition product
- LIGHTLY WEIGHTED: On the chest, to give the feeling of your reassuring palm. The weighted pad is filled with non-toxic poly beads (same as those used in children’s toys) and was created using physio-therapy standards to give just the right amount of pressure. Moms report longer sleep in 1-3 nights
- THICKNESS: The Zen Sack Classic has a TOG rating of 0.5 which means it is breathable for Summer days but still warm and cozy enough for night time sleeping
- MATERIAL: Made from 100% luxuriously soft cotton. Completely washer/dryer safe and BPA, toxin and phthalate free. Exceeds safety standards – 12 mandatory and 7 voluntary tests passed
- SIZING: Comes in 3-6 months (7-18 lbs, 19-26 inches) and 6-12 months (16-24 lbs, 26-30 inches)
So, what did I think? I wasn’t expecting a sleep miracle which I believe is key. The Nested Bean sleep sack is adorable, cozy, and the weighted bean on the front is cute and just right, not too heavy at all.
And what I love about this sack is the way the shoulders open with snaps and have two settings for height. Then the bottom has double zippers.
This combination allows it to completely open up making a diaper change easy or taking it on and off without waking your baby if needed. The fabric is soft and the design is cute. It feels high quality to me.
I wondered if it was even worth it to buy this since my baby is nine months, but the six to twelve month size has plenty of growing room. And believe it or not my baby did sleep better after I got this. We went from waking every couple of hours to waking once in the early morning which is more in line with how she used to sleep.
Now, I am always a sleep sceptic. I truly believe babies and kids go through many growth spurts and challenges, and sleep horrible sometimes, and better other times. So I can’t say for sure the sleep sack really helped. She also happened to have her first tooth poke through finally.
But, you can’t lose with this product because even if it does not help your baby to sleep longer, it is an adorable high quality sleep sack. I would have paid for that alone.
There you have my thoughts on the Nested Bean Zen Sack Classic.
I loved it enough I felt compelled to write a review. You can find it here.
And they also have a Nested Bean Zen Swaddle if you are still in the swaddling phase.
Please let me know if you have any questions!